This dreamy lemon cake is what dreams taste like. The batter is fragrant with floral rosemary and olive oil. The end result is pillowy-soft, cloud-like. It is light and it is airy. It floats around your mouth, aromatic rosemary notes doing little somersaults across your tongue.
Olive Oil Lemon Drizzle Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, very finely chopped (optional, but it makes it really lovely)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons non-dairy milk or water
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk from a can
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- A pinch of salt
For the Lemon Drizzle:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 320°F, then grease and line a bread tin.
- Sift together all dry ingredients and rosemary in a bowl a mix well. In another bowl, combine milk, olive oil, coconut milk, lemon juice, and melted vegan butter. Pour wet into dry and fold until mixture starts to come together. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the bread tin and bake 45 minutes (last 10 minutes covered with foil) or until a skewer comes out clean. Let cool before removing from the tin.
- Sift icing sugar and lemon juice and stir to a smooth paste, spread over the cake and let it firm before slicing the cake.