There is absolutely nothing more comforting on this earth than a nice, hot, steaming slice of shepherd’s pie—until now. This secretly vegan version will warm your guests to their toes and heat hearts for lively discussions around the table.
No Shepherd, No Sheep Pie [Vegan]
- 1 1⁄2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour
- 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix TVP with hot broth, and let sit for 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion, garlic, and carrot in oil for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, peas, 1⁄2 cup broth at room temperature, and 1⁄2 cup milk. Add flour and let the sauce thicken up. Move mixture into a greased 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes, margarine, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of milk with rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper. Spread over vegetables in the dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Red Potato