There is absolutely nothing more comforting on this earth than a nice, hot, steaming slice of shepherd’s pie—until now. This secretly vegan version will warm your guests to their toes and heat hearts for lively discussions around the table.
Excerpted from Kinda Vegan: 200 Easy and Delicious Recipes for Meatless Meals (When You Want Them) Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved. Photographs by James Stefiuk.
No Shepherd, No Sheep Pie [Vegan]
- 1 1⁄2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon white whole-wheat flour
- 5 medium red potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix TVP with hot broth, and let sit for 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion, garlic, and carrot in oil for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, peas, 1⁄2 cup broth at room temperature, and 1⁄2 cup milk. Add flour and let the sauce thicken up. Move mixture into a greased 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes, margarine, and the remaining 3 tablespoons of milk with rosemary, sage, salt, and pepper. Spread over vegetables in the dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Red Potato