These no-bake candy bars, inspired by a famous treat, are divine! A fluffy, coconut center is sandwiched between a chocolatey walnut-date crust and then topped with a layer of smooth, rich dark chocolate ganache. A sprinkling of toasted sliced almonds and flaked coconut adds a finishing touch. This recipe makes quite a number of bars, but they're so delicious that you'll want to keep them all to yourself.
No-Bake Almond Joy Bars With a Chocolate Ganache Topping [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
For the Filling:
- 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup coconut cream*
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
For the Ganache:
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (or a bar, chopped up)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
For the Garnish:
- A handful of coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- A handful of sliced almonds, lightly toasted
To Make the Crust:
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor until well incorporated, and until the mixture sticks together when pinched.
- Spoon into an 8×8-inch parchment-lined pan and press down to form an even crust layer.
To Make the Filling:
- Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Spoon on top of the crust and smooth out to form an even layer. Don't press it down too much. You want a light, fluffy center.
To Make the Ganache:
- To make the ganache, melt the chocolate with the coconut cream and almond extract over a double boiler, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Let the ganache cool a bit, then pour it over the top of your filling ingredients.
To Make the Garnish and to Serve:
- Toast the coconut flakes and sliced almonds in the oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before serving and keep stored in the refrigerator.
*You will need 2 15-ounce cans of full-fat coconut milk. Place the cans in the fridge for a couple of days (or longer). When you’re ready to make the recipe, invert the cans just before opening and pour out the liquid, which will have separated from the cream. Use just the cream for the filling and the ganache.