This Moroccan pizza will brighten even the cloudiest of days! It has some classic Moroccan flavors, like preserved lemons, saffron, olives, spiced chickpeas and flat leaf parsley. It’s creamy, salty, zingy and bright. This pizza is dang good!
Moroccan Style Pizza with Spiced Chickpeas, Preserved Lemon, Olives & Saffron Crema [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon (cane) sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup spelt flour or wheat flour + extra if needed
- 1/3 cup polenta/corn meal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- 2/3 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 4 hours, rinsed & drained
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of saffron threats, mixed with 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Pepper & salt
- 1 medium preserved lemon
- 12 green olives with garlic
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- Basil leaves or flay leave parsley, for garnish
- In a bowl, mix yeast, sugar and water and let it sit until foamy.
- Add the flour and polenta, olive oil and salt and mix. Knead the dough for 10 minutes, adding extra flour if needed.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough in the bowl, cover with a tea towel. Let the dough rise for 1,5 to 2 hours or until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Mix oil and spices, season with salt. Stir in the chickpeas.
- Blend the ingredients for the sauce until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a pizza form with oil and dust with polenta/corn meal.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a 30 cm circle. Spread half of the saffron crema over the bottom.
- Scatter on the chickpeas, preserved lemons, olives and shallots. Drizzle with the remaining saffron crema.
- Bake the pizza for 10 minutes or until golden. Garnish with basil leaves or flat leave parsley.
- Slice and share. Enjoy!
For the preserved lemon: Cut the preserved lemon in quarters. Remove the flesh and discard. Rinse the lemon skin and chop in small pieces.