This cashew cake is unbelievably creamy and the perfect dessert to enjoy when it is far too hot for comfort outside. The cake crust is a mixture of nuts and dates with provide the crunch and sweetness to the dish. Use whatever frozen berries you have on hand or only use your favorite type! The choice is yours and the possibilities are endless with the cake.
Mixed Berry Cashew Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Raw]
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon water
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 8 hours
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup mixed berries, frozen is best
- 5 ounces coconut cream
- Soak the cashews overnight in water (or in boiling water for 1 hour if you're in a pinch).
- Using a food processor, combine the dates, nuts, extract, and water. Pulse as needed to form a sticky, workable dough. This will take a few minutes.
- Flatten the dough to fill the bottom of your can or mould (6-9 inches but you could stretch this further). Two layers of wax paper and a rolling pin work well to keep things from sticking everywhere.
- Blend the cashew, maple syrup, berries, and creamed coconut until smooth. There should be no chunks. I leave the blender running a few minutes for good measure.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and tap the pan to level out the mixture and remove any bubbles.
- Freeze the cake overnight (this will take at least several hours, but I don't know the magic number). Transfer to refrigerator a few hours before eating or leave it at room temperature for about 20 minutes. You should not be eating this cake frozen. It should a creamy, smooth consistency.