This black bean soup is richly infused with sweet tomatoes, spicy chili, tangy lime juice, and fragrant coriander for an authentic Mexican flavor. This perfectly balanced soup, topped with avocado cream and crispy baked tortilla chips, makes for a hearty and healthy every-day meal. Enjoy a big bowl of it on a chilly winter day — all those spices will keep you warm.
Mexican Black Bean Soup With Sweet Corn, Tortilla Chips, and Avocado Cream [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 14-5-ounce can good-quality tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste/ketchup
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon dried chili
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil of your choice
- 2 wholegrain tortillas
For the Avocado Cream:
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Soup:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Add the red onion to a large pan with a splash of oil, sauté for a few minutes on a medium heat.
- Next, add the garlic, black beans, bay leaves, dried oregano, cumin, dried coriander, cayenne, paprika, cocoa powder, salt, and the juice of half a lime.
- Stir the mixture for a minute or so, until fragrant, and then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth. Reduce the heat slightly and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- A few minutes before the time is up, stir in the sweet corn.
To Make the Tortilla Chips:
- To make the chips, cut the tortillas into smaller triangles and place on the baking tray, cook in the oven for 6 minutes on the first side, then turn them over and bake for a further 4 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
To Make the Avocado Cream and to Serve:
- Place the avocado, water, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of salt in the blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Remove the bay leaves from the soup, finely chop the fresh coriander, stir into the soup, then serve up with a swirl of avocado cream and crunchy tortilla chips.
- Beans - Black