The Spartan way of life that this recipe is named for was simple. The Spartans had a disciplined and decisive attitude about themselves and life — a good model for those that have adopted a vegan lifestyle. This dish is both hearty and satisfying and will grant you a taste of the Mediterranean right in your very own kitchen.
Mediterranean Millet [Vegan]
- 1¼ cups millet (250 g)
- 3½ cups non-carbonated mineral
- water (850 mL)
- Iodized sea salt
- 1 onion
- 1 zucchini
- ½ eggplant
- 1 carrot
- Approx. 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (80 g)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup Sango Radish Sprouts (30 g) (or alfalfa sprouts)
- 1/3 cup roasted hazelnuts (40 g)
- Place millet, mineral water, and ½ teaspoon salt in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and allow to cook over medium heat approx. 22 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Wash the zucchini and eggplant and cut into small cubes.
- Peel the carrot, cut it lengthwise, and slice.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and sauté vegetables for five minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and oregano, and cook approximately one minute while stirring.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the millet and add salt and pepper once more.
- Wash the sprouts and allow them to drain.
- Coarsely chop the hazelnuts.
- Serve this Spartan dish on wooden plates and top with hazelnuts, sprouts, and a liberal drizzle of olive oil.