Having trouble deciding whether to have a salad or a sandwich – why not have both. This delightfully light sandwich has all of the foundational ingredients of a Mediterranean salad with the added bonus of creamy hummus and hearty tofu.
Mediterranean Summer Sandwiches: Marinated Tofu and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto on Ciabatta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sandwich:
- 1/2 block firm tofu, drained and dried, cut 4 slices
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano
- 4 ciabatta rolls, gluten-free if needed
- 1/4-1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup Mediterranean spread (recipe below)
- 1 tomato, sliced in rounds
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained and dried
- 1/2 cup arugula
For the Mediterranean Spread:
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh, packed basil
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained
- 2 tablespoons oil from sun-dried tomato jar
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients for the Mediterranean spread to a food processor and blend on high until combined, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Add tofu to a baking dish or shallow plate.
- Drizzle it with red wine vinegar, oregano, and pepper. Allow the tofu to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- While tofu is marinating, prepare Mediterranean spread.
- When you're ready to assemble the sandwich, slice ciabatta rolls in half. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of hummus on the bottom of each roll and 2 tablespoons of Mediterranean spread on the top of each roll.
- Top the hummus side with tomato, red peppers, tofu, and arugula.
- Top the sandwiches with the other half and serve them.
- If you're serving them cold, eat them immediately. If you're serving them hot, heat them with a panini press or griddle and grill sandwiches until warmed through.