One of the most popular breads available in Asian bakeries worldwide is matcha or green tea buns with red bean paste filling. This plant-based take on the beloved treat includes gluten-free matcha buns filled with a homemade raspberry jam. Not only are they vegan and gluten-free, these buns are also nut-free and refined sugar-free!
Matcha Buns With Raspberry Jam [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Buns (Dry Ingredients):
- 10.6 ounces gluten-free white bread flour
- 17.6 ounces gluten-free meal and grain bread mix
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Buns (Wet Ingredients):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.8 ounces vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 1/2 cups rice milk
For the Raspberry Jam Filling:
- 19 ounces fresh raspberries, washed
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon powdered fruit pectin
To Make the Raspberry Jam Filling:
- Place all the raspberries and agave syrup in a medium pot, bring to a boil, and turn the heat to low.
- Simmer on low heat until the liquid has reduced by half and thickened slightly. About 30 minutes.
- Add in powdered fruit pectin. Stir and mix well.
- Continue to simmer on low heat, stirring frequently until the powdered fruit pectin has dissolved and the raspberry jam has thickened. Turn off the heat.
- Place the jam into a jar to cool and set. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Prepare the Dough:
- Warm the rice milk in a small pot for around 2 minutes, then turn off the heat. Add in the olive oil, vegan butter, and agave syrup and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all the dry ingredients including the yeast.
- Attach the mixing bowl to an electric mixer and then attach the dough hook. Using low speed, mix for about 30 seconds or until ingredients are well combined.
- Continue on low speed, gradually pour the warm rice milk mixture in step 1 into the well in the large bowl for about 2 minutes.
- Stop mixing and then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low setting for another 5 minutes or until dough is combined.
For Stuffing the Dough:
- Lightly grease all the muffin cups with some vegan butter.
- Scoop and place small amount of wet dough into the bottom of each cup of the muffin pan.
- Then place 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam into the center of each muffin cup, gently flatten the jam
- Fill each muffin cup with the rest of the wet dough until nearly the edge.
- Let the dough rise for about 20 minutes.
For Cooking the Bun:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the buns for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the buns rest for 5 minutes. Then remove and place the cooked buns on a cooling rack.
- Reheat by covering the buns with aluminum and bake in the oven for 5 minutes or in microwave for 40 seconds or until buns are soft.
Per Serving: Calories: 157 | Carbs: 10 g | Fat: 5 g | Protein: 2 g | Sodium: 75 mg | Sugar: 9 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile