One of the most popular breads available in Asian bakeries worldwide is matcha or green tea buns with red bean paste filling. This plant-based take on the beloved treat includes gluten-free matcha buns filled with a homemade raspberry jam. Not only are they vegan and gluten-free, these buns are also nut-free and refined sugar-free!
Matcha Buns With Raspberry Jam [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Matcha Buns With Raspberry Jam [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Buns (Dry Ingredients):
- 10.6 ounces gluten-free white bread flour
- 17.6 ounces gluten-free meal and grain bread mix
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Buns (Wet Ingredients):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.8 ounces vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 1/2 cups rice milk
For the Raspberry Jam Filling:
- 19 ounces fresh raspberries, washed
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon powdered fruit pectin
How to Prepare Matcha Buns With Raspberry Jam [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Raspberry Jam Filling:
- Place all the raspberries and agave syrup in a medium pot, bring to a boil, and turn the heat to low.
- Simmer on low heat until the liquid has reduced by half and thickened slightly. About 30 minutes.
- Add in powdered fruit pectin. Stir and mix well.
- Continue to simmer on low heat, stirring frequently until the powdered fruit pectin has dissolved and the raspberry jam has thickened. Turn off the heat.
- Place the jam into a jar to cool and set. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To Prepare the Dough:
- Warm the rice milk in a small pot for around 2 minutes, then turn off the heat. Add in the olive oil, vegan butter, and agave syrup and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in all the dry ingredients including the yeast.
- Attach the mixing bowl to an electric mixer and then attach the dough hook. Using low speed, mix for about 30 seconds or until ingredients are well combined.
- Continue on low speed, gradually pour the warm rice milk mixture in step 1 into the well in the large bowl for about 2 minutes.
- Stop mixing and then use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Mix on low setting for another 5 minutes or until dough is combined.
For Stuffing the Dough:
- Lightly grease all the muffin cups with some vegan butter.
- Scoop and place small amount of wet dough into the bottom of each cup of the muffin pan.
- Then place 1 tablespoon of raspberry jam into the center of each muffin cup, gently flatten the jam
- Fill each muffin cup with the rest of the wet dough until nearly the edge.
- Let the dough rise for about 20 minutes.
For Cooking the Bun:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the buns for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the buns rest for 5 minutes. Then remove and place the cooked buns on a cooling rack.
- Reheat by covering the buns with aluminum and bake in the oven for 5 minutes or in microwave for 40 seconds or until buns are soft.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 157 | Carbs: 10 g | Fat: 5 g | Protein: 2 g | Sodium: 75 mg | Sugar: 9 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.