When you think pie, you may automatically think of sweet, baked classics like pumpkin and apple pie. However, savory pies like this mashed potato and vegetable pie can be just as satisfying! It is a hearty meal that can comfort anyone, anywhere, any day. It's layered with zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, carrot, and leek, so you don't have to worry about getting your daily dose of veggies in!
Mashed Potatoes and Vegetable Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 3 1/2 cups of spelt flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling:
- 17.6 ounces of potatoes
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup of soy milk
- Mix the flour, the yeast, and the salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center and pour water into it. Mix with your hand and knead a few minutes. Make a ball of dough, put it in a bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rest in there frigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Cook the peeled potatoes in plenty of water and when they are soft, drain them, and crush them with a peeler along with the margarine until you obtain a homogeneous purée. We heat the soy milk, and add it little by little to the mash, stirring continuously with the rods until it is smooth and creamy.
- Cut the eggplant, zucchini, carrot, leeks, and sliced tomatoes. Heat a pan with a little oil and cook the grilled vegetable with a little salt and pepper until it is half cooked.
- We remove the dough from the refrigerator and stretch it with a rolling pin on the floured countertop. We have to give it the double round shape that the size of the mold. We place the dough in the mold covering the edges well. We preheat the oven to 360ºF and bake the dough 15-20 minutes.
- We remove the mold with the dough from the oven and fill it with layers of mashed potato and roasted vegetables alternating them to your liking. Decorate with slices of vegetables on top. We bake the cake 30-40 more minutes.
- We let the cake cool down a bit, cut it into portions, and serve.