If you want to impress someone with a dal, make it this vegan Sabut Masoor. Don’t be afraid of the number of spices—it is quite simple to make. The spices and garlic are blended to a paste and fried in the oil. The secret to getting the right flavor profile is a hot sauce made from chiles, garlic, and vinegar in the tadka. Serve this vegan Sabut Masoor with rice, naan, or another kind flatbread.Recipe from Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen Copyright © 2015 by Richa Hingle.
Masala Lentils (Sabut Masoor) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Masala Lentils (Sabut Masoor) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup brown/green lentils, washed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons safflower or other neutral oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red or white onion
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek leaves or 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (optional)
How to Prepare Masala Lentils (Sabut Masoor) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Combine the lentils with 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Partially cover and cook over medium heat until the lentils are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, make the tempering. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the garlic, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, fenugreek, paprika, nutmeg, black pepper, sriracha, and 2 tablespoons of water. Blend to combine well. Add this paste to the onions in the skillet. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and salt, and cook until the tomatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. Mash the larger tomato pieces.
- Add the tempering to the lentils. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spice. Garnish with cilantro and vegan butter, if using, and serve hot.
A portion of the proceeds from the sales of this book will go toward Wildlife SOS, Help Animals India and Animal Aid Unlimited.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 615 | Total Carbs: 74 g | Total Fat: 26 g | Total Protein: 22 g | Total Sodium: 506 mg | Total Sugar: 18 g Per Serving: Calories: 154 | Carbs: 19 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 127 mg | Sugar: 5 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.