The vegan butter and plant milk make this recipe 100% vegan and trust us they will rival any traditional scone you compare them to!
Maple Walnut Scones [Vegan]
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons Cold Vegan Butter
- 3/4 cup Plant milk *preferably a thicker milk like soy or oat
- 1/2 cup Dates
- 1/2 cup Walnuts very lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cranberries
- 3/4 cup Confectioner Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Maple Extract
- 1 tablespoon Plant Milk
- Aquafaba for brushing the scones before baking OR additional plant milk is also fine
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the dates, walnuts and cranberries in a food processor and process to fine bits. Reserve.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and mix well.
- Add the grated vegan butter (or small diced if you do not have a grater) and then mix by hand incorporating the butter throughout the flour until it resembles course meal.
- Add the finely chopped date-nut-cranberry mixture and distribute evenly throughout.
- Add the plant milk and mix gently by hand just until it is all absorbed and forms a sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead just about 5-6 times folding the dough over into itself.
- Press it out to a disc approximately 8" in diameter and cut it into 6 equal pieces (or 12 smaller 3" diameter cookie cutter sized).
- Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and brush with aquafaba or plant milk.
- Bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 35 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
- Cool while you prepare the maple glaze by combining the sifted confectioners sugar with the maple extract (Or maple syrup) and add plant milk to desired consistency, whisk smooth.
- Drizzle over the scones and then top with additional chopped cranberries!