This mango crepe cake is perfect for any special occasions. This recipe makes a 24 -layer 10″ crepe cake, please feel free to double or half the ingredients to make a bigger or smaller cake.
Mango Crepe Cake [Vegan]
For the Sourdough Crepes:
- 13.61 ounces sourdough discards
- 3 ounces vegan butter (unsalted)
- 4 flax eggs (4 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 12 tablespoons water)
- 4.8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 12.8 ounces plant milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegan butter for frying
For the Vegan Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup vegan butter (unsalted)
- 3.5 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup aquafaba the liquid from a can of chickpeas
For the Fillings & Toppings:
- Flesh from 2-3 mangoes (thinly sliced)
For the Crepes:
- In a blender, add all of the ingredients and blend for 20 seconds.
- Pour the batter into a large bowl. Cover and let it rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat a 10-inch crepe pan, or a non-stick pan on medium low heat.
- Add a thin layer of butter to coat the bottom of the pan. Wipe off excess with paper towel.
- Turn the heat to low. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the pan. Lift the pan and swirl to spread batter evenly. Remember to act quick here as the batter will start to cook the second you pour it onto the pan, making it harder to swirl the longer you wait.
- Cook for 2 minutes and flip the crepe. Carefully flip the crepe and cook for another minute on the other side.
- Remove from heat to a serving plate to cool. Cover the crepes with the kitchen towel (or tea towel) while you are cooking the other ones to prevent them from drying out. Cook the remaining batter until all batters are used. This recipe makes about 24 crepes.
For the Vegan Whipped Cream:
- Place 1 cup of softened vegan butter with 3.5 cups of powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Turn the mixer to high setting and slowly pour in 1 cup of aquafaba and 4 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Beat on high for at least 5 minutes. Stop to scrape the edges of the mixing bowl occasionally.
- Continue beating until stiff peak form. Remember to refrigerate the whipped cream if not used immediately.
To Assemble The Cake:
- To assemble the cake, place 1 crepe in the center of a 12-inch plate. Evenly spread 4-5 Tbsp of vegan whipped cream on the crepe, almost to the edges.
- Top with another piece of crepe. Repeat step 1 until you’ve used 5 crepes.
- Top the crepe with thinly sliced mango in an even layer. Spread 3 Tbsp of vegan whipped cream to fill the gaps of the mangoes.
- Top with another piece of crepe and repeat step 2.
- Continue the same steps, adding mango flesh to every fifth crepe, until all crepes have been used.
- Gently and loosely wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or even overnight) before serving.
- Decorate the cake with your preferred choice of toppings (here I used mango roses). Slice and enjoy!