This ultra-comforting stew combines fu, or a variety of seitan, with tender winter squash, sweet potato, and onion. It's hearty, packed with protein, and most of all, delicious!
Macrobiotic Autumn Fu Stew [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Macrobiotic Autumn Fu Stew [Vegan]
For the Fu:
- 4 pieces kuruma-fu, cut into halves (see notes)
- Safflower oil, for deep-frying
For the Stew:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cups diced onion several pinches of sea salt
- 2/3 cup chopped winter squash (big chunks)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet potato (big chunks)
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon sauerkraut juice
- Parsley, for garnish
How To Make Macrobiotic Autumn Fu Stew [Vegan]
- Make seasoning sauce by mixing shoyu and mirin with 1/2 cup of water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Deep-fry fu in safflower oil until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet. Saut. ginger until it becomes light brown, add onion and a few pinches of sea salt, and saute. onion until translucent. Layer deep-fried fu, squash, and sweet potato on top of onion.
- Pour seasoning sauce over the layers. Sprinkle a few pinches of sea salt on top. Cover, reduce flame to low, and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until squash and sweet potato become tender and the sauce is almost absorbed.
- Place sauerkraut and sauerkraut juice on top and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Gently mix and serve with garnish.
Fu is a variety of wheat gluten. It can be found in most Asian grocery stores, near the tofu. From The One Peaceful World Cookbook by Alex Jack and Sachi Kato (BenBella Books, 2017).
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
- Sweet Potato
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving (before added oil from frying): Calories: 200 | Carbs: 21 g | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 18 g | Sodium: 548 mg | Sugar: 6 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile