Mac and cheese sandwich? Yes! These are like a next level grilled cheese sandwich. Pasta is enveloped in a creamy, dairy-free "cheese" sauce, mixed with spinach (or your favorite greens), and sandwiched between two pieces of toasted bread with fresh basil pesto. These indulgent sandwiches are the perfect game day munchies.
Mac and Cheese Toast With Fresh Basil Pesto [Vegan]
For the Mac and Cheese Toast:
- Noodles, like penne (gluten-free if needed)
- Dairy-free cheese sauce (recipe below or use your favorite recipe)
- Your favorite bread
- Vegan pesto
- A handful of spinach, depending on how many you make
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 large white potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, for color
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water plus another 1/2 cup, divided
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or in boiling water for at least 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt, to taste
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- To a large pot, add potato, carrot, onion, turmeric, and garlic. Add 2 cups water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Transfer vegetables, including the vegetable cooking water, to a high-speed blender or food processor. Drain the cashews, then add them along with the nutritional yeast, 1/2 a cup water, and salt to taste.
- Blend until smooth.
To Make the Mac and Cheese Toast:
- Combine the cheese sauce and pasta, then stir in spinach.
- Toast the bread in a skillet. Then, spread pesto over one slice of bread. Add a few heaping spoonfuls of mac and cheese, then serve warm.
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch