It's football season! Which means a time to eat delicious food and be lazy with family and friends. These little baked potato bites are the perfect appetizer to add to the big table of junk food at any party, except that while they may look sinful, they really aren't! Gluten-free tortillas, mashed potato, cashew and carrot based nacho cheese, cashew sour cream, and topped off with coconut bacon.
Loaded Cheesy Baked Potato Bites [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Mashed Potatoes:
- 1 large Russet potato
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of cayenne
- 1/3 cup water
To Make the Sour Cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
For the Topping:
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Begin by peeling and chopping the potato. Add to a small saucepan and cover with water. Place on stove over medium heat, covered. Boil until potato is soft.
- While the potato cooks, prepare cheese sauce. In a small sautée pan, steam carrot in 1/2 cup of water. Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a blender. When carrot is soft, add to blender and blend on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Scoop into a small bowl and set aside.
- Next, prepare the sour cream. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Scoop into a small bowl and set aside.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water and add almond milk, butter, salt, and chives. Mash together and stir until smooth.
- Prepare tortillas by using a round cookie cutter or glass to trace and cut smaller circles out of the tortilla. They should have about a 2 inch diameter. Continue this step until you have cut as many circles out of the tortillas as possible. Using a mini-muffin tray, place tortillas at the bottom of the muffin cup so they form little cups themselves. Place in the oven and bake for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and begin assembling. Fill each tortilla cup with a small scoop of mashed potato (ideally with a pastry bag). Next top with cheddar. Place back in the oven for 7-8 more minutes until the cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and finish assembling. Top with cheese sauce, a small drizzle or dollop of sour cream, sliced green onion, and coconut bacon. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- When it is time to serve, warm in oven for 10 minutes.
- Potato Recipes