If you're lucky enough to find canned lentils at the grocery store, this Lentil Mushroom Bolognese recipe will be easy-peasy. If you have to use dried lentils, be sure to soak them according to the instructions on the packaging before cooking this dish. This lentil mushroom bolognese is easy on the wallet, and turns out flavorful, hearty, and chunky.
Lentil Mushroom Bolognese [Vegan]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Lentil Mushroom Bolognese [Vegan]
- 16 ounces of spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 15 ounces can of lentils
- 24 ounces of good jarred red sauce
- 2 tablespoons hummus (plain or garlic)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- Nutritional yeast, walnut parmesan, or vegan parmesan for topping (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
How To Make Lentil Mushroom Bolognese [Vegan]
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box.
- Meanwhile, chop your mushrooms, onions, and garlic.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil, mushrooms, and onions.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions begin to appear translucent.
- Add in the garlic, and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Drain the can of lentils and add them to the pot.
- Add in the red sauce, hummus, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Heat, stirring occasionally until the sauce is warmed through.
- Once the sauce is done warming and the pasta has been cooked, combine them both in a large serving bowl (or directly in one of the pots).
- Serve and top with some nutritional yeast, walnut parmesan, or vegan parmesan if desired.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile