A quick and satisfying breakfast, treat, or on-the-go snack with a sweet lemony flavor that packs a powerful anti-inflammatory punch. This is one of those recipes where you throw everything in and let the food processor do the work. And everything means an entire half of a lemon! Including the juice, flesh and peel provides a lemony flavor that you just can’t get with plain ole lemon juice. The key is to let the dough blend long enough so no lemon bits remain and you have a smooth consistency. The turmeric in these treats has more to offer than a beautiful color. Turmeric is one of the most studied spices because of its strong anti-inflammatory properties. Its positive effects on multiple diseases is promising and make it a MUST-HAVE in at least 1 meal or snack a day!
Lemon Turmeric Energy Balls [Vegan]
- 20 pitted deglet noor dates (approx. 1 cup), soaked in hot water for at least 20 minutes
- 1/2 lemon, washed and seeds removed, if the very end is hard, remove it as well
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup raw almond
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- optional coating: ground almonds or shredded coconut
- Drain soaked dates, reserving water in a small bowl. Place dates, de-seeded lemon and vanilla extract in a food processor. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. If mixture is too thick to blend, add reserved soaking water, 1 tablespoon at a time. These turn out best if you keep added water to a minimum.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add almonds, oats, chia seeds and turmeric to food processor and blend. Add to wet mixture and stir until combined using a wooden spoon.
- Scoop with a small spoon and roll into 1 inch balls. If desired, roll balls into ground almonds or shredded coconut.
- Place balls on a parchment or wax-paper lined baking sheet.
- Freeze balls until firm, for approximately 1 hour. Transfer to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator.
When stored in the refrigerator these keep for up to 2 weeks. For longer-term storage, place in the freezer.