Poppy seeds are loaded with minerals like iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium. They are also a great source of B-complex vitamins and contain fiber, so why not try baking them into a delicious muffin that kids will love, too? Try baking these vegan lemon poppyseed muffins!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt (try vanilla or lemon flavor!)
- 2-3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (make sure it's organic!)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper cups.
- Cream together butter, sugar and applesauce in medium mixing bowl until smooth.
- On low speed or by hand, mix in remaining ingredients in the order listed. Do not over mix.
- Spread the mixture into prepared muffin tin 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Variations: add shredded coconut or crushed walnuts or chocolate chips!