The cake is crumbly, light, and fluffy although it does not have eggs and butter. The lemon juice adds the perfect amount of tangy flavor to the syrup glaze. If you like a light and citrusy dessert, give this lemon pistachio cake a go.
Lemon Pistachio Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 2/5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice and a little zest
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 4/5 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2.5 ounces pistachios
For Syrup (optional):
- 1.6 ounces water
- 1/5 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a bowl, mix the oil with milk, zest, and sugar. Then mix the baking soda with lemon juice and stir until it froth. Add this mixture into the oil mixture and stir.
- Add the flour gradually. Mix in around 2/3 of the crushed pistachios.
- Pour the mixture into a lined pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 360°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and while it cools, make the syrup.
- Put the syrup ingredients in a saucepan and remove when they boil. I pour it over the cold cake and sprinkle with some zest and the remaining pistachios.