These beautiful cupcakes are surprisingly quick and easy to make. They use a simple white cake as a base that is augmented with a liberal amount of lemon juice and zest and then topped with a velvety buttercream frosting. They look like a fresh, sunny, spring day and they taste even better.
Easy and Zesty Lemon Drizzle Cupcakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 7 ounces caster sugar
- 2 1/5 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2/3 cup water
- .42 cups olive oil
- Vegan buttercream frosting
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and line a cupcake tin with liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, and lemon zest.
- Slowly add the lemon juice, water, and oil. Mix this until everything is fully combined and smooth.
- Fill each cupcake case with batter, about 3/4 full.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean. Once baked, place the cupcakes onto a cooling rack and allow them to cool fully.
- Whilst the cakes cool, prepare the frosting.