This is a perfect breakfast treat or dessert, as it’s sweet, but not a mouthful of sugar. The tanginess of the lemon pairs perfectly with the less sugary treat.
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Cake [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg (1 1/2 tablespoon flax seed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar (sub coconut sugar if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed, frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices, & salt).
- In a separate, smaller mixing bowl whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for 5-6 min. or until foamy (this creates a vegan buttermilk). While the milk mixture is sitting, prepare the flax egg. Whisk together the flax meal and water, set aside for a minute to thicken. Add flax egg to milk mixture along with rest of the ingredients (except blueberries & lemon zest).
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine (do not over-mix). Fold in blueberries and lemon zest. Pour batter into loaf pan. Top with a few more fresh blueberries. Bake for 50-55 min. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Enjoy!