When life hands you lemons, you might as well make lemon blackberry pie. This one is set atop a sweet, crunchy crust made of buckwheat, coconut, and dates. The tart, subtly sweet lemon filling is made with both juice and zest, and studded with juicy blackberries. It's topped with a fluffy, coconut cream topping. Yum!
Lemon Blackberry Pie [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup, dried coconut, finely shredded
- 3/4 cup sprouted, dehydrated buckwheat groats, or walnuts
- 1/2 cup flaxseed, ground
- 1 cup soft-pitted Medjool dates
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Filling:
- 1 15-ounce can full fat organic coconut milk, chilled
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- A pinch of sea salt
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut butter, warmed to liquid
- 3/4 cup fresh organic blackberries
For the Topping:
- 1 15-ounce can full-fat organic coconut milk, chilled
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup or raw coconut nectar
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw coconut butter, warmed to liquid
- For the crust, combine all ingredients in the food processor until they are finely chopped and starting to hold together when squeezed (if it doesn't you may need a few more dates). Press the mixture into an 8-inch pie pan or spring form pan greased with coconut oil.
- For the filling, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter and blackberries in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Add the coconut butter slowly with the motor running until incorporated. Stir in the blackberries. Pour filling into the crust. Place in the freezer to firm up, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for the cream topping, combine all ingredients but the coconut butter in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the coconut butter slowly with the motor running until incorporated (so it doesn't separate),and once thickened, pour into a bowl. If for some reason it separates, just continue to blend until it warms up, then pour into a bowl and place in the freezer until it is thick like whipped cream (whisking every so often), about 45 minutes. Once the cream is ready, spread over the top of the pie, slice, and serve.
Recipe for 1 8-inch pie plate. Pie keeps refrigerated for 1 week in a container.