Lemon Basil Creamy Pasta. Vegan and gluten free. This sauce is so easy to make plus the creamy texture comes from cashews, soaked, versus heavy cream. The sauce has a lovely cheese-based flavor thanks to the nutritional yeast, tartness from the fresh lemon juice with a tangy flavor from the Dijon. This sauce can be prepared ahead of time to save time and just topped on your freshly cooked pasta.
Lemon Basil Creamy Pasta Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews, soaked 12 - 24 hours
- 1 1/4 cups of filtered, fresh water
- 1 cup, packed, fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, add your cashews and enough water to cover nicely.
- Soak the nuts for at least 6 hours but I normally soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse completely after soaking.
- Place the nuts and the remaining ingredients into a high powered blender.
- Blend until completely incorporated.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add more water if you prefer your sauce thinner.
- Add more lemon juice for additional tartness.
- Ensure you have enough salt and pepper as well.
- Top your pasta once cooked and garnish with additional basil leaves if you wish.