Meet the appetizer that will win every spring party! Zucchini blossoms are stuffed with a basil-lemon cashew cream and deep-fried until golden brown and crisp. Not only are they pretty, they are easy to prepare and they taste great …What a wonderful excuse to get deep-frying and create a unique dish that many people have never tried before.
Lemon Basil Cashew Cream Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Lemon Basil Cashew Cream Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Blossoms:
- 12 zucchini blossoms, gently rinsed
- Oil suitable for deep-frying such as rice bran oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil
- 1 cup cashews soaked 2 or more hours
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, packed
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup almond milk
For the Batter:
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup soda water
- A pinch of salt, pepper, and cayenne
How to Prepare Lemon Basil Cashew Cream Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Remove the stamen from inside of the blossom. Set aside.
- Prepare your filling by blending the cashews, basil, lemon zest and juice, salt, pepper, and almond milk in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Stuff each blossom with the filling, depending on the size of your blossoms. They should be full, but not spilling over overflowing. Set aside.
- Prepare the batter as your frying oil heats to 350°F. Pour the oil into a large saucepan. Ensure it is about 2 inches deep. If you don't have a thermometer, you can throw in a 1x1-inch cube of bread.
- When it browns in about a minute, the temperature should be right.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Whisk in soda water until mixed. The mixture should resemble pancake batter.
- Dip the stuffed blossoms into the batter and coat well. Let the excess batter drip off. Place the blossoms a few at a time into the oil. Cook for 2-4 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the blossoms from the oil to a plate lined with paper towel. Season liberally with flaky sea salt, fresh basil, and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy while hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 98 | Carbs: 14 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 2 g | Sodium: 149 mg | Sugar: 1 g Calculation not including frying oilNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.