These barbecue jackfruit-stuffed steamed buns make for the perfect entrée or small bite for entertaining. You have the amazingly soft steamed buns, an effortless savory, slightly spicy Korean BBQ sauce that pairs seamlessly with the jackfruit.
Korean BBQ Jackfruit Buns [Vegan]
For the Buns:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus a little more for brushing
- A couple pinches of salt
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Black sesame seeds, as desired
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
For the Korean BBQ sauce:
- 1 20-ounce can jackfruit in brine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves (or 1 tablespoon) garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 squeeze lime
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water combined with 1 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot
For the Buns:
- Activate the yeast by dissolving it in the warm water. In a large bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients. Lightly whisk to mix well. Pour the activated yeast mixture into the mixing bowl and start mixing and kneading and bringing the dough together. Pull it out on a well-floured surface and knead the dough for 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle the dough with little dry flour if the dough is too sticky. Transfer the dough into an oiled bowl and brush some more oil on the surface. Cover with a kitchen towel and keep in a warm place to proof for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until it doubles in size. Once the dough doubles in size, take it out on a floured surface. lightly press to knock the air out. Roll the dough into a log shape and divide
- Once the dough doubles in size, take it out on a floured surface. lightly press to knock the air out. Roll the dough into a log shape and divide into four equal parts if making bigger buns, or five equal parts if making smaller buns. Roll the parts into a ball shape, cover, and keep in the warm spot again to proof for 30 minutes. The balls will double in size.
- Roll the balls out into oval-shaped of about 1/4-inch thickness. Fold in half and place a parchment paper in between to avoid sticking. Repeat with other balls. Proof for another 30 minutes. Steam the buns in a steamer for 10 minutes. Take the carrots and cucumber and toss in rice vinegar. Remove the buns from the steamer and fill with Korean BBQ jackfruit and toppings and serve.
To Make the Jackfruit:
- Drain the jackfruit and add to a saucepan with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, shred with a fork, and throw in a pan with BBQ sauce for 5-7 minutes on medium to high heat. The jackfruit should take on a slightly darker color.
To Make the Sauce:
- Heat a non-stick pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together (minus the water and corn starch) in the pan until well blended. Bring to a simmer and gradually add in the cornstarch/water mixture. Continue cooking until sauce thickens, while stirring occasionally to prevent burning or sticking on the bottom of the pan, about 8 minutes.