Not sure what to do with fresh kohlrabi? This salad is the perfect way to enjoy its mild flavor and signature crunch! This recipe takes a mild Tex-Mex twist with fresh green onions, garlic, and cilantro mixed together in an olive oil and red wine vinaigrette.
Kohlrabi and Corn Salad [Vegan]
- 5 ears of sweet corn, brought to a boil and then cut from the cob and cooled
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled and julienned (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 seeded and finely chopped jalapeño
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon agave or 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Shuck and wash the corn. Over high heat bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the corn to the pot, cover, and bring it back up to a boil. Once the water returns to a boil immediately remove the corn from the pot so that it doesn't over-cook. Cool and then cut the corn off of the cob with a sharp knife.
- While the corn is cooking and cooling, prepare the remainder of the ingredients. To save on time it's recommended to use a mandolin to julienne the kohlrabi and slice the radishes. Be sure to wear gloves and avoid touching your eyes when handling a jalapeño pepper. In a large bowl toss together all of the salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Gently fold the cold corn into the large bowl of tossed salad ingredient and drizzle all of the dressing over top. Chill for one hour before serving.