These are spectacular! An easy summer dessert to serve to non-vegans, who "will never know" there's tofu in it! It's excellent any time of the year as a light ending to an Asian, Caribbean, Indian, or Mediterranean meal.
Key Lime or Lemon Lime Bars [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups vegan graham cracker crumbs (or vegan animal cracker crumbs)
- 1/4 cup fine unsweetened grated coconut
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup, organic corn syrup, agave nectar or golden syrup
- 10 tablespoons raw cashews, soaked in hot water for a few minutes and drained
- 12.3 oz box extra-firm SILKEN tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (10 tablespoons) key lime juice OR 5 tablespoons regular lime juice and 5 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or organic bottled)
- grated zest of one large lemon or lime, or 4 key limes
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp agar powder
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup organic fair trade granulated unbleached sugar
- Grated lime zest
- Toasted grated coconut
- Mix the Crust ingredients well and press evenly into a parchment-lined 9 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 325ºF for 10-12 minutes. Cool thoroughly before filling.
- Mix the drained cashews in a blender with the tofu, lime and/or lemon juice, zest, and salt. Process for several minutes (be patient!), until it is very smooth. Stop the blender and scrape the mixture down if necessary.
- Soak the agar in the cold water for a few minutes, in a small pot or a microwave-proof bowl with plenty of room for boil-up. Cook it, stirring, over medium heat until dissolved, OR microwave it in two 30-second intervals (stir after first one). Stir in sugar to dissolve. Scrape this carefully into the mixture in the blender (try to get it all with a rubber spatula). Process the mixture until well-blended.
- Pour this immediately into the baked, cooled crust. Sprinkle with the garnish of your choice. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before cutting into 9 squares.
Some bulk graham cracker crumbs are vegan-- check the label on the bin (if it's visible) or ask your grocer to let you see the original bag. Otherwise, you will have to make your own crumbs (in a dry food processor or blender) from vegan graham crackers.