Kathal dum pulao is a very rich and aromatic Indian rice recipe made with the combination of raw jackfruit, spices, and coconut milk. It's warm and spicy, but not hot, and it makes a filling meal that's perfect served with flatbread. To make it richer, substitute the coconut milk in the masala for almond or cashew paste.
Kathal Dum Pulao: Jackfruit Pulao [Vegan]
For the Pulao:
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
For the Masala:
- 8.8 ounces raw jackfruit, cleaned and chopped
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilis, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 mace
- 1 teaspoon shah-jeera/black cumin seeds
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon kewra essence or rose water (optional)
To Clean the Raw Jackfruit:
- Apply coconut oil over your hands and knife. Remove the skin and cut jackfruit into small pieces. Put those pieces in water to avoid brown coloring.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add washed jackfruit pieces along with little salt and turmeric powder. Pour enough water until the pieces submerge. Close the lid and pressure cook on low-medium flame for 1 whistle. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Drain the water completely and keep those cooked pieces aside.
To Prepare Pulao:
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in a pan. Add chopped mint and coriander leaves. Stir well. Add washed and drained rice. Add 4 cup water, salt and lemon juice. Mix well everything and let it cook until rice is just about cooked. Remove from the heat and drain the water completely. Spread rice on a plate and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons coconut in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom, mace, and black cumin seeds. Stir well. Add chopped onions and green chilis. Stir well and cook for few minutes until onions turns golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well.
- Add cooked jackfruit and coriander powder. Mix well everything. Add coconut milk, 1 cup water, and salt to taste. Let the masala cooked on medium flame for 10 minutes. Remove pan from the heat. Transfer masala to a bowl.
- Take the same pan and add a tablespoon of the masala. Spread it nicely. Spread a layer of rice over the masala. If using kewra essence or rose water, then pour a drop. Again repeat the same by layering
- Close the pan with a lid. Keep an iron tawa or skillet on the stovetop and let it heat on low-medium flame. Place the pan on top of the tawa/skillet and cook for 15 minutes. Switch off the flame and do not remove the pan. Let it be above tawa/skillet itself. At the time of serving, remove it and serve with raita.