Beautiful and delicious Swedish cardamom buns are served with coffee for the afternoon for Fika. Fika means “to drink coffee “in Swedish. It is a moment to take a break, hang with friends and enjoy a pastry. Cardamom flecked rolls are soft and pillowy, fragrant, mildly sweet and delicious. They pair well with coffee and tea.
Kardemummabullar: Swedish Cardamom Rolls [Vegan]
To Make the Dough:
- 1/2 cup warm non-dairy milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom seed powder
- 3 tablespoons soft, vegan butter
- Oil to grease the bowl
To Make the Filling:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter (at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons green cardamom seeds powdered
To Make the Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
To Make the Topping:
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- Dissolve sugar in warm milk. Add yeast. Leave covered for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and cardamom powder in a large bowl. Add butter. Mix well.
- Add milk mixture and knead the dough. Add milk mix in parts. Knead for about 8 minutes till you get a very smooth, supple, and slightly tacky dough.
- Transfer to a greased bowl. Turn around so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover and keep in a warm place for 45 minutes or until puffy.
- To make the filling, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- To make the glaze, take all the ingredients in a pan. Boil till sugar dissolves completely. Cool.
- Punch the risen dough. Transfer to a floured counter. Roll out into a 10-inchX18-inch rectangle.
- Spread filling onto the rolled dough with a spatula, covering entire area from edge to edge.
- Mark 6 inch sections on the 18-inch side. You will have three equal sections. Fold left side to the middle, then fold the right side over the left side. Turn the dough so that the longer side is facing you.
- Sprinkle some flour and roll out the dough slightly. With a sharp knife or a pastry wheel, cut one-inch strands.
- To make rolls, hold the end of the strand between thumb and index finger. Wrap the strand around the tips of your thumb and fore fingers three times. Keep twisting the dough strand as you wrap. Slip the roll out gently and tuck in the other end of the strand under the roll.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place rolls on a greased baking tray giving enough space for dough to rise and spread. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 430°F during the last 20 minutes while the dough is rising. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or till the rolls become brown from the top.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush the rolls with the syrup. Sprinkle topping.
- Cool on the wire rack. Serve warm.