When it comes to nutritious foods, kale stands above the rest. Besides all of its great health benefits, it happens to be absolutely delicious. It also holds up extremely well in a salad.
Kale and Avocado Salad [Vegan]
- 1 bunch kale (any variety)
- 1/2 cup bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)*
- 1/4 red onion (optional)
- 1/4 bunch parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large avocado
- To prepare the salad, rinse the kale well and then tear it into bite-sized pieces. Dice the peppers and red onion (if using). Finely chop the herbs and gather the rest of your mise en place.
- Place the kale into a large bowl. Slice the avocado in half and pit. Score the inside of each half into a criss-cross pattern and scoop out the avocado. Add to the bowl of kale. Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Using your hands, massage the avocado into the kale for 1 to 2 minutes. Then either toss with the diced peppers and onions or plate the kale and add the remaining ingredients afterward. Adding them afterward keeps their color nice and bright. If adding the peppers and onions afterward, be sure to season them with a bit of oil, salt, and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Feel free to play around with this salad—add your favorite nuts, seeds, herbs, and/or vegetables.