Kake udon is a traditional Japanese noodle dish consisting of fresh udon noodles in a simple dashi broth. Ginger, mirin, and soy sauce are also mixed in for added flavor, and you can add Shichimi togarashi (a spice mix) for a kick, as well. This soup is comforting, satisfying, and packed with umami flavor.
Kake Udon [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Kake Udon [Vegan]
- 2 8-ounce packs of fresh udon, cooked according to package instructions
- 4 cups vegan dashi broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sake
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped
- Shichimi togarashi spice mix (optional)
How to Prepare Kake Udon [Vegan]
- In a pot, combine dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and salt and bring to a boil then reduce to simmering heat, cook for 3 minutes.
- Place udon in bowls then ladle hot soup into the bowls. Top with spring onions and shichimi togarashi spice if you'd like.
While most commercially available dashi is made with fish, you can make vegan dashi at home by soaking kombu or Shiitake mushrooms in water. Adjust to taste.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.