Poaching fruits is a great way to infuse flavor and these pears showcase this technique. This same poaching method can be used with other fruits, such as apples, pears, apricots, peaches and plums.
Jasmine Poached Pears [Vegan]
- 4 to 5 small semi–ripe pears, cored and peeled
- 3 tablespoons dried jasmine flowers
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups muscat or reisling wine
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced down middle
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup agave
- pinch of sea salt
- Gather and prepare your mise en place.
- Combine the jasmine flowers with 2 1/2 cups of hot water in a heat-proof container. Allow to steep for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve and discard the flowers. Transfer the tea to the pot in which you will poach the pears.
- Place the pot with the jasmine tea over medium–high heat. Add the wine, vanilla bean, star anise, agave and salt and bring to a simmer. Gently place pears into the poaching liquid and poach them for 12 to 15 minutes or until they are fork tender. Take care not to overcook them. Remove the pears from the liquid and allow them to cool.
- To serve, cut each pear, lengthwise, into a few slices and fan the slices out over each plate. Serve with your favorite non–dairy vanilla ice cream and garnish with Maple Candied Walnuts.