While these carrot pickles taste great on their own, their flavor and texture truly shine when paired with other components. They are the perfect balance of vinegary and salty goodness. Prepare a jar of these bad boys now and creatively add them to whatever dish your heart desires.
Japanese Carrot Pickles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 large carrots, peeled, trimmed, cut into 2-inch chunks, and thinly sliced lengthwise with a mandolin
- 1/2 cup brown rice vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ume plum vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Place the carrots in a medium pot of boiling water and blanch 15 seconds.
- Drain well. Whisk the vinegar, mirin, sesame seeds, sesame oil, vinegar, salt. and garlic in a medium bowl.
- Gently fold the carrots into the mixture. Transfer to a large canning jar and close the lid tightly. Store in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before use, and use within 2 weeks.
Reprinted with permission from Bold Flavored Vegan Cooking by Celine Steen. Copyright 2017 by Page Street Publishing Co. Photographs copyright 2017 by Celine Steen. https://www.amazon.com/Bold-Flavored-Vegan-Cooking-Plant-Based/dp/1624143903/?tag=onegrepla-20