These poppers are the perfect mix of crunchy and creamy consistencies, together with the heat of the jalapeño and the complimentary cooling of the vegan cream cheese. Smoked tofu adds another layer of heat and a bacon-ish flavor to the mix. Is your mouth watering yet?
Jalapeño Poppers With Smoked Tofu [Vegan]
- Chop the firm, smoked tofu into small pieces, add the liquid smoke and soy sauce. Let marinate for about 15 minutes while you chop the jalapeños.
- De-seed the jalapeños and cut them in half.
- Grab your marinated tofu bits and fry them quickly on high heat.
- Mix the two cheeses in a bowl, and add the smoked tofu bits.
- Scoop up some of the cheese mix and press into the jalapeño pieces.
- Put the flour, breadcrumbs and/or panko and your thinned-out crème fraiche into separate small bowls. Dip the stuffed jalapeños first into the liquid and then into the flour and let them dry.
- Now dip the stuffed jalapeños into the liquid and then the breadcrumbs. Make sure the whole popper is coated with crumbs, Either triple dip or just re-dip and touch up the ones with a thinner coating.
- Half fill a small pot (to avoid using too much) with oil and heat on medium-high. Fry the poppers until golden, about 2 minutes, and drain on paper towels.