Who doesn't love a crispy, crunchy corn fritter? You will want to eat as many of these as you can get your hands on. The jalapeño adds the perfect touch of spicyness to compliment the sweetness of the corn.
Jalapeño and Corn Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Jalapeño and Corn Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 corn cob, kernels stripped, or an extra 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (seeds removed for a milder taste)
- 3 tablespoons corn flour (cornstarch)
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Pesto or your favorite dipping sauce
How to Prepare Jalapeño and Corn Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Blend the defrosted corn, vegan egg replacer powder, sugar, and baking powder in a blender until you have a smooth purée. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add the fresh or extra frozen corn kernels to the purée along with the diced jalapeño and corn flour. Gently stir to combine, then allow the mixture to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying to 340ºF. To check the temperature of the oil, drop in a small spoonful of the batter. If it quickly rises to the surface, then you’re good to go.
- To cook the fritters, use one soup spoon to scoop up the batter, then use another soup spoon to gently push the mixture off the spoon and into the oil. Make sure there is enough room for them to move around a little in the oil.
- The fritters will rise to the surface and begin to turn a golden brown. Flip the fritters over and cook the other side until crisp and golden all over– this should take about 2 minutes.
Recipes excerpted with permission from Smith & Daughters: A Cookbook (that happens to be vegan) by Shannon Martinez and Mo Wyse, published by Hardie Grant Books March 2017, RRP $35.00 hardcover. Smith & Daughters is an award-winning vegan restaurant in Melbourne, Australia, twice voted Time Out People’s Choice Restaurant of the Year (2016 and 2014). https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Daughters-Cookbook-Happens-Vegan/dp/1743792077/?tag=onegrepla-20
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.