There are many ways to make faux meat and fish but jackfruit is especially well suited to this task. When cooked and shredded, jackfruit takes on a sort of crablike look and feel. When you combine that with the fantastic spice combination and the tangy tartar sauce, you have some dangerously delicious "crab" cakes.
Jackfruit ‘Crab’ Cakes With Tartar Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crab Cakes:
- 1 20-ounce can jackfruit in brine
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 uncooked vegan eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or rapeseed oil, for cooking
- Gluten-free flour for dusting
For the Tartar Sauce:
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Make the tartar sauce first by combining all the ingredients and mixing them well. Refrigerate it until you are ready to use it.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit and boil it for around 10-15 minutes or until it's tender.
- Once cooked, drain the jackfruit and set aside to cool.
- When the jackfruit has cooled, use two forks to shred it and chop up any large pieces that remain.
- Throw out any seeds you find.
- Combine one “egg”, mayo, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, seasonings, and parsley in a large bowl and mix them well.
- Add the jackfruit and half of the breadcrumbs to the bowl and gently fold the mixture together until it is just well-combined.
- Shape the mixture into 6 cakes (about 1/2 cup each) and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and refrigerate them for at least 1 hour to allow the cakes to firm up.
- Add the remaining egg to a small bowl.
- Place some plain flour and the remaining breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes.
- Dredge a crab cake in the flour, then dip into the egg and coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Shake it gently to remove any excess breadcrumbs.
- Repeat this process with the remaining crab cakes. You may need to add more breadcrumbs to the bowl if you get low.
- Preheat a large nonstick pan to medium heat and coat it with the oil. When the oil is hot, place the jackfruit cakes in the pan and cook them until they golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve them immediately with tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon.
Serve with lemon wedges and lettuce.