Whoever first thought of turning a Vietnamese banh mi sandwich into a taco was a certified genius. But even the work of a genius can be improved upon, and the result here is these entirely plant-based and gluten-free jackfruit banh mi tacos. Hello! Tender jackfruit is coated in a sweet and sour teriyaki sauce, all topped with crunchy, tangy pickled veggies, creamy Sriracha mayo, and enrobed in a soft corn tortilla. Now that's one epic Vietnamese taco.
Jackfruit Banh Mi Tacos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 daikon radish cut into matchsticks or 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown rice vinegar
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/8 cup sugar or 5-6 drops liquid stevia
- 1/2 tablespoon pink salt
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 20-ounce can of jackfruit in brine, drained
- 3/4 cups teriyaki sauce, vegan
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped, optional
- 6-8 gluten-free corn tortillas
To Make the Pickled Vegetables:
- Put the vinegars, water, sugar and salt in a bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Add the radishes and carrots.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to a month.
To Make the Sauce:
- Combine the Sriracha, mayo, and tamari in a bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Drain the jackfruit and rinse with water and using paper towels. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the fruit. Shred and cut into small pieces.
- Marinate in the teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes to an hour.
- You have the option to lightly sauté the jackfruit in a pan with a little oil or water to soften it up. Over medium heat for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally should do the trick.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- Warm a tortilla over a gas burner, under the broiler, or wrapped in a damp paper towel and put in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Spread on some Sriracha sauce, add some jackfruit, then pickled vegetables, and add other remaining toppings to your liking.
- Add some more sauce if desired and enjoy!