This vegan Italian flatbread is one of the easiest, quickest, fluffiest, and most delicious breads you will ever make. It can be made in under 1 hour with 4 simple ingredients and it can be used as a wrap, pita, bread, focaccia, and just as a snack dipped into your favorite hummus. Buon appetito!
Italian Flat Pizza Bread [Vegan]
- 1.5 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cube fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- In a bowl, dissolve the fresh yeast with the lukewarm water.
- Add 1 tsp of sugar to help the yeast activity.
- Add half of the flour and start mixing with a wooden spoon
- Add the rest of the flour and the salt. Keep mixing until you have a dough that can be worked with your hands.
- Knead the dough with your hands for 10 minutes. It's best to do this on a work table, but you can also do it in the same bowl. Your dough should bevery soft to the touch, but it shouldn't stick to your hands. If too sticky, add a bit of extra flour.
- Cut the dough into 5 equal pieces, then with a rolling pin roll each piece into a flat and round disc. You can flatten the disc between 4 to 8 mm thick. Dust the worktable and the rolling pin with flour if your dough is sticky.
- Put all the discs on a flat surface that is large enough to accommodate all of them without them overlapping, then cover with a clean kitchen cloth and let proof at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cook each of your flat-breads on a hot non-stick or cast iron pan. Flip only once. Cook on each side for about 1.5 to 2 minutes, or until nice and golden. Clean the pan from excess burnt flour after each flat bread.