Simple meals shouldn't be synonymous with boring. Break out of the lunchtime rut with this savory meal. Whole grain toast is topped with vegan pesto, plus chickpeas and Israeli-spiced sliced tomatoes. Easy to make and full of flavor!
Israeli Spiced Tomatoes With Pesto and Beans on Toast [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large or two small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- A small handful of parsley and/or basil, minced
- 1/4-1/3 cup vegan pesto
- 4 slices whole grain (gluten-free if needed) "rustic" bread of choice (a sturdier loaf holds up better)
- Mix the sumac, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a pinch of black pepper, and the garlic in a little dish. Slice the tomatoes and lay out on a flat baking pan or plate. Rub the spice mixture all over them and let them sit while you prep the rest, and up to an hour.
- In another small bowl, toss together the chickpeas, vinegar, and minced herbs. Season lightly with salt and black pepper, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- To serve, toast the bread, warm the pesto, and then top the toast with pesto, tomato slices, and the chickpeas.
Sumac is a Middle Eastern spice made from ground red sumac berries. It has a tangy, lemony flavor. Look for sumac in the international aisle or spice aisle of your local grocery store.