These spicy and delicious Indian tofu paratha pockets are a wholesome meal or snack that pair perfectly with the chilled dairy-free raita. A mixture of Indian-spiced, crumbled tofu and mashed kidney beans are stuffed into homemade paratha or Indian whole wheat flatbread. It's warm and spicy, yet not too hot, and so delicious.
Indian Tofu Paratha Pocket Bites [Vegan]
For the Raita:
- 3/4 cup boondi (Indian chickpea flour puffs, see notes)
- 1 cup boiled water
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 cup vegan yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
For the Indian Tofu Stuffing:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup crumbled tofu
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 1 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Paratha Dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt
- Water, for kneading
- Some extra wheat flour, for dusting
- Vegan butter or oil, for roasting
To Make the Raita:
- Soak boondi in the boiled water for 2 minutes. Drain and soak again in ice cold water for 2 minutes.
- Drain excess water and transfer to a bowl.
- Add yogurt, coriander powder, salt, and cumin powder and mix well gently. Add some water if needed.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and sprinkle with some chili powder.
To Make the Indian Tofu Stuffing:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, chopped ginger, and chopped garlic. Sauté for few seconds and add
- Cooked kidney beans. Cook and mash slightly with the back of a spatula. Add garam masala powder, chili powder, coriander powder, and salt.
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add crumbled tofu and mix well. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped chilis, chopped coriander and chopped onions.
- Mix well and cook for one more minute.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Divide the prepared stuffing into eight equal sizes and keep aside.
To Make the Paratha:
- Add wheat flour, salt, and water to make a soft dough. Divide the dough into eight equal-sized balls.
- Take the ball, roll out thinly into a circle or square. Try to roll out thin, but not paper-thin, because it needs to hold the stuffing well.
- Place the Indian tofu filling in the center.
- Now fold the paratha to cover the stuffing. Press slightly to seal the edges well.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Roast the stuffed pockets from both sides on medium heat.
- Apply a little oil on the both sides, and roast until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat the steps until the dough last.
- Cut into pieces. Your Indian tofu pocket paratha bites are ready.
- Serve with chilled raita.
Boondi can be found at your local Indian grocery.