Simple and quick radish stew with toasted coconut & Indian spices. Radishes are often served as a side dish. But why not make ‘em the star of the show? They’re healthy, tasty, and just look at them blushing beauties!? This easy weeknight Indian Style Radish – Coconut Stew uses the radishes in a creative and delicious way.
Indian Style Radish – Coconut Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 bunches radishes, smaller ones halved/larger ones quartered (Trim the heads and tails!)
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, micro planed
- 1 clove garlic, micro planed
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (remove the seeds if desired)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, toasted
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup water (depending on the desired saucy-ness)
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Toss the radishes with a little oil and place on a baking tray. Roast for 20 minutes. Meanwhile prep the stew
- Heat some oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the black mustard seeds and cook until they start to pop.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and spices, and sauté for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are saucy (about ten minutes), adding a few tablespoons of water if needed. Mashup any larger pieces of tomato (using a potato masher).
- Add the toasted coconut and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat. Cover loosely with a lid and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add the roasted radishes and cook for 10 more minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve with cooked rice or naan bread. Enjoy!