I’ve tried tofu-based egg dishes at home a few times with mixed results, but I think I’ve finally hit the nail on the head thanks to one of my new favorite vegan proteins: bean curd stick, aka tofu skin. Available online or at most Asian grocery stores, this product is made from the film that forms when soy milk is boiled to make tofu. It’s typically sold in dried sheets twisted into sticks that can be rehydrated to different consistencies, depending on what you’re making. Better yet, each little stick has 19 grams of protein, which is more than three times that of one egg. Served between toast with gooey vegan cheese, a pinch of salt and a good grind of pepper, this faux scramble will make you forget you even liked real eggs.
‘Egg’ Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for ‘Egg’ Sandwich [Vegan]
- 2 pieces of bread or an English muffin
- 1 stick dried bean curd (aka yuba, aka tofu skin)
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter (oil will work in a pinch, though the butter lends a more breakfasty flavor)
- 1 teaspoon vegan mayonnaise (optional-this adds richness and an eggy flavor)
- 1 slice vegan cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
How to Prepare ‘Egg’ Sandwich [Vegan]
- Place beancurd in a medium sized pot and cover with water. Place over medium heat and bring to a low simmer. Simmer until bean curd is very soft and silky, at least 15 minutes. When ready, it will look like thin sheets of cooked egg. Meanwhile, toast bread.
- Drain softened tofu skin well and return to pot. Stir in a teaspoon of vegan butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the bread, if using. Top with bean curd mixture, an additional shake of pepper, and then place the slice of cheese on top.
- On a baking sheet or in a shallow cast iron pan, place the open-faced sandwich under the broiler until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from oven, top with remaining piece of toast, and eat up.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.