Refried beans are super easy to make and go in a wide variety of recipes like tacos, burritos, or sopes. You can even eat them on their own with tortilla chips. After you learn how to make refried beans at home, you'll never want to buy canned again! They're creamy, rich, and perfect for serving as an addition to all your Mexican-inspired meals.
How to Make Refried Beans [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for How to Make Refried Beans [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups cooked beans (black or pinto)
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup bean water
- Sea salt to taste
How to Prepare How to Make Refried Beans [Vegan]
- To start, cook your black beans (save some of the cooking water for later).
- Then, heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-low. In the meantime, dice your onions and garlic and add the onions into the pan.
- Sauté the onions until they are starting to look transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add in any optional seasonings at this point. Some of our favorites include minced jalapeño peppers, cumin, chili powder, minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and Mexican oregano.
- Stir in the cooked black beans with about ⅔ - ¾ cup of their cooking water and salt. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, then start mashing the beans using a potato masher.
- Continue mashing until you reach your desired consistency. If you don't have a potato masher, transfer the bean mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until your desired texture is achieved. Then, transfer back into the pan to cook. Note: if the pan needs a little more oil, add it in now.
- Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and liquid to your preference.
- Serve your refried beans warm with tortilla chips in burritos, tacos, sopes, or whatever else you want!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.