This recipe mimics the flavors and textures of Rice Krispie Treats using more natural ingredients. These squares taste phenomenal, with the buttery richness of the macadamia nut butter and the sweetness of brown rice syrup.
Rice Krispie Treats [Vegan]
- 1⁄2 cup macadamia nut butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons unrefined sugar (can reduce or omit, to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon agar powder
- 1 – 1 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups natural brown rice crisp cereal
- Line an 8×8-in (20×20-cm) pan with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan on low-medium heat, combine macadamia butter, syrup, sugar, salt, agar powder, and vanilla.
- Stir continually as mixture heats until agar powder is fully dissolved (reduce heat if mixture starts bubbling).
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal, making sure to fully incorporate with nut butter mixture.
- Transfer mixture to pan and press in evenly (use an edge of parchment paper to press without sticking).
- Refrigerate to cool completely, then cut into squares.