An Easter favorite, indulge yourself with some lovely, sticky vegan hot cross buns. A hot cross bun is a spiced sweet bun made with raisins that are marked with a cross on the top. Traditionally, they are eaten on Good Friday. Serve these fresh from the oven with some butter and jam. Simplicity at its best.
Hot Cross Buns [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hot Cross Buns [Vegan]
For the Buns:
- 1 4/5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 1/3 teaspoons fast acting yeast
- 1/2 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon orange peel or mixed peel
- 1/8 cup raisins
For the Cross:
- 2 tablespoons flour
For the Glaze:
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
How to Prepare Hot Cross Buns [Vegan]
- In a small saucepan, warm the soy milk with the vegan butter until melted, the milk should be warm (not hot). Place in a big bowl and sprinkle the yeast over it. Mix and let stand for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- In the meantime, mix the flour, sugar, orange zest, salt, and spices. Add the flour to the yeast mix.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix well until you have a rough dough, then transfer to a clean flour dusted work surface and knead for around 10 minutes, or until soft and springy.
- Return the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise in a warm place until double the size (about 1 hour).
- Sprinkle the mixed peel and raisins over the dough and knead for another 1-2 minutes until the fruits are incorporated.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for another hour.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each into balls. Evenly space them out on a lined baking tray.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for a further 30-60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 380°F.
- Place the flour and 2 tablespoons water into a small bowl and mix to a thick paste.
- Use the batter to carefully trace a cross over the top with a piping bag or spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven, until golden brown.
- Gently heat the apricot jam to melt, then sieve to get rid of any chunks.
- While the jam is still warm, brush over the top of the warm buns and leave to cool.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 243 | Carbs: 45 g | Fat: 4 g | Protein: 5 g | Sodium: 230 mg | Sugar: 13 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.