A great way to get a daily dose of magnesium is by making your own homemade nut or seed milk. Pumpkin seeds are delicious and just so happen to be very high in magnesium— providing about 150 mg of magnesium per cup. You can use any nut or seed in this recipe. Other nuts high in magnesium include almonds, cashews, and hemp seeds.
Homemade Pumpkin Seed Milk [Vegan]
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 large date
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (alcohol- free)
- Place pumpkin seeds, salt, and water into a large mason jar and soak overnight on your kitchen counter (do not refrigerate).
- The next day, strain the pumpkin seeds and rinse them gently. Transfer seeds to a blender and add 4 cups of fresh water, the date, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Blend on high until the milk is clump free and nice and frothy.
- Store in a mason jar with a water- tight lid for up to 4 days, just remember to shake well before enjoying.
- Pumpkin Seed