These cookies are super easy to make and taste delicious. They are crisp ginger cookies which are perfectly spiced, decorated with homemade vegan royal icing which drys out at room temperature. This is a classic recipe for Christmas which everyone will enjoy. Even pop a few on a plate along with a glass of dairy-free milk for Santa, we're sure he'll want more than one!
Holiday Gingerbread Cookies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Holiday Gingerbread Cookies [Vegan]
- 10-ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4-ounces vegan butter
- 5 1/2-ounces brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 3/4-ounces blackstrap molasses
- Vegan royal icing
How to Prepare Holiday Gingerbread Cookies [Vegan]
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the butter and brown sugar, blend up until smooth.
- Once creamy, add the almond milk, molasses, and vanilla and blend up until smooth.
- Pour the wet butter mixture into the flour mixture and bring together into a dough. Knead for a few minutes.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and pop into the fridge for 1-2 hours until firm enough to roll out. Once the dough is ready, preheat your oven to 355°F and line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick, and cut out the cookies using festive cookie cutters (snowflakes, gingerbread men, Christmas trees, reindeer etc).
- Transfer the cookies onto the lined trays and pop into the middle of the preheated oven and bake for around 8 minutes.
- Once baked, transfer the cookies on to a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before icing.
Serve fresh or store in a sealed container, the royal icing will firm up at room temperature. Best eaten within a few days!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.