These cookies are super easy to make and taste delicious. They are crisp ginger cookies which are perfectly spiced, decorated with homemade vegan royal icing which drys out at room temperature. This is a classic recipe for Christmas which everyone will enjoy. Even pop a few on a plate along with a glass of dairy-free milk for Santa, we're sure he'll want more than one!
Holiday Gingerbread Cookies [Vegan]
- 10-ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4-ounces vegan butter
- 5 1/2-ounces brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 3/4-ounces blackstrap molasses
- Vegan royal icing
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, add the butter and brown sugar, blend up until smooth.
- Once creamy, add the almond milk, molasses, and vanilla and blend up until smooth.
- Pour the wet butter mixture into the flour mixture and bring together into a dough. Knead for a few minutes.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and pop into the fridge for 1-2 hours until firm enough to roll out. Once the dough is ready, preheat your oven to 355°F and line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick, and cut out the cookies using festive cookie cutters (snowflakes, gingerbread men, Christmas trees, reindeer etc).
- Transfer the cookies onto the lined trays and pop into the middle of the preheated oven and bake for around 8 minutes.
- Once baked, transfer the cookies on to a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before icing.
Serve fresh or store in a sealed container, the royal icing will firm up at room temperature. Best eaten within a few days!