Making vegan cheese has never been so easy. This garlic and herbs cheese is delicious, dairy-free, and has no added oil. Serve on bagels, bagel chips, crackers, or celery.
Herbed Soft Cashew Cheese [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 of 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon agar agar powder
- Oil, to brush the ramekin.
- Soak the cashews for 1 hour in hot water.
- Drain the cashews and place them in a blender along with the basil, oregano, garlic, salt, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, maple syrup, and 1/2 cup water.
- Process for 1 minute and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water and agar agar powder. Add the cashew cream and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Pour into lightly-oiled ramekins and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Remove by turning upside down onto a board.