This mild, cashew-based cheese has a smooth, melt-in-your-mouth texture. It’s easy to slice and also soft enough to spread. You don't have to miss cheese on a plant-based diet!
Herb Crusted Cashew Provolone Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1/4 cup modified tapioca starch
- 2 drops beta-carotene, squeezed out of the gel cap
- 1 teaspoon white truffle oil
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons agar agar powder or 2 1/2 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic herb seasoning mix (optional)
- Place the cashews in filtered water in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Lightly oil a 4-inch spring form pan.
- Drain the cashews. In a high-speed blender, place the cashews, one cup filtered water, modified tapioca starch, beta-carotene, coconut oil, truffle oil, and agar agar.
- Blend on high-speed for one minute or until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir continuously until it becomes thick and cheese-like in consistency.
- Pour the cheese into the prepared springform pan. Let cool. Cover with parchment paper, then transfer to the refrigerator to set overnight.
- Turn the cheese out of the mold and place on a serving plate.
- Roll cheese in garlic herb seasoning (optional).
- Using a sharp knife, slice, and enjoy with your favorite crackers.